- Motherboard: an ASRock Rack C2550D4I.
- 2 of 8GB ECC RAM, for 16GB total.
- Case: Silverstone DS380B – which turns out pleasantly more compact than I anticipated.
Brian had trouble fitting his power supply into the case – his is 125mm long and SFX-sized power units are normally 100mm long. With a better fitting power supply:
- I chose a Silverstone ST30SF, which has a lower wattage but I’m only planning on using six drives. It installs easily into the case.
- Along with WD Reds and Seagates, I’m mixing in a pair of HGST Deskstar NAS drives, which are very well reviewed.
- NAS distro: I tried FreeNAS but failed to get it to boot (! – probably user error), so switched to NAS4Free which worked first time, and has been rock-solid.
Items were purchased from Newegg.com, Amazon.com, Fry’s, and Best Buy. This was partly to obtain disks from separate manufacturing batches, so that failures would be unlikely to occur simultaneously.
This build has been rock-solid for several months now. I’m very happy with the chosen components.